Monday, February 8, 2010

20 years of personal fashion

Hello to all
I hate that I have been lacking on this blog but my excuse is all the celebrating of my birthday I have been doing, and then the hangovers/work shifts that have come in between! Today I turn 20 years old which for the last few months the idea of really frightened me but I am starting to come to terms that not much has changed, and at the very least I am one year away from the legal drinking age! 
I think back on the last two decades of my life and how fashion has impacted them. To be fair the first five years of my life I didn't have much control over how I looked (thanks for the bowl hair cut Mom) but I feel like I always wanted a say in what i was wearing. I was always girlie but never went through an all pink phase. The earliest fashion memories I have stem back to the ridiculous dresses and crazy coats my mother and Grandmothers put me in to fulfill some Caroline Kennedy as a child fantasy in which everything costed too much, and I looked ridiculous. As I got older I remember in 1st grade wanting these converse like black shoes because I thought they were really cool for riding my bike and pairing with my Aunt Liz's old Basketball jersey's and t-shirts that were more like dresses on me. But of all my fashion influences, one specifically stands out. I remember being 7 and making my Dad take me on a trip to old navy where I was going to buy an entire new outfit. It was a jersey knit off white 3/4 sleeve shirt with a collar that I paired with dark wash jeans and a rope belt and a pair of black shoes with a little bit of a heel (being 7 and already wearing a woman's sized 8 shoe meant your mother usually had no choice but to buy your already awkwardly tall frame a pair of shoes with a heel). I thought I was the shit, made my dad take photos of me and my sister in a similar outfit and it ended up being the Christmas card. From that day out I was hooked on fashion. 
Of all my childhood looks these are my favorite that I have on hand...


My mom always had me in dresses, never really pants.


Can we look at this pimping sailor suit? Did anyone ever wonder why I grew up loving men in uniform? I do have to say my cousin Nick has one hell of a blue suit.

Queen of Sass with someone's raybands, and some velcro sneaks



Proof the the ridiculous get up's and crazy looks. Personally I like my Moms look better then my own

No comments:

Post a Comment